What To Do? I'm 69, my wife is 64

Alcatel-Lucent will be offering a Medicare Advantage PFFS plan to replace the traditional indemnity plan in 2009. Read more here and post your thoughts and experiences.

Re: What To Do? I'm 69, my wife is 64

Postby lucentretirees on Fri Aug 20 2010

Medicare has published it 2010 version of Medigap plans. Visit the LRO website
http://www.lucentretirees.com/benefitsteam and at the top there's a link
to clink on it to download. Plans M and N are new this year. They
are said to offer good value, because their monthly payments are lower
but there is a co-payment. But each individual has to fit their own needs.

Also, go to the State Help link on the web site for information about
"SHIP" - these are Medicare-funded state agencies to help individuals with their
medicare questions (including Medigap). They vary from state to state, but
they are set up to answer individual questions and provide information about all the plans
available in your state.

Post what you did and your decision to help others this year.
lucentretirees
Site Admin

Postby CBrines on Fri Aug 13 2010

Mutual of Omaha is a very good company, but they are increasing their premiums in California. I have found that Gerber Life and Anthem Blue Cross now have the best prices for Medicare Supplement Plan F, and both of these companies also have "A" ratings with A.M. Best. You can look at prices for Plan F from every company at http://www.MedicareSupplementShop.com.

Also, anyone who is leaving an employer sponsored plan has a guaranteed issue period regardless of how old they are, so you can wait until your wife is eligible for Medicare before you enroll in a Medigap plan. Pre-existing conditions won't matter. I believe this guaranteed issue period lasts for 63 days, which is plenty of time to find a good Medicare Supplement Plan.
CBrines

Postby mendomann on Fri Nov 14 2008

I found out the skinny on the 7% discount. Mutual of Omaha offers a 7% discount in other states, but not in CA where I live.
mendomann

Postby mendomann on Fri Nov 14 2008

it is totally not competitive with Medigap plan F at substantially less money(better coverage at just under $100 for my wife when she reaches 65, and just over $100 for me---this includes a 7% discount for couples thru Mutual of Omaha, an AMBest "A" rated company).

I too just got a plan F policy from Mutual of Omaha for my wife and me, but I did not get any couples discount. I specifically asked about a discount, because I know that AARP gives a discount, but was told that Mutual does not have a discount. Did you deal directly with Mutual or thru an independent agent?
mendomann

Postby slimjimed on Thu Nov 13 2008

I have the sames issue--my wife is 64 and I'm 67. I'm being forced off of Lucent's plan since I will lose the "Guaranteed Issue"; and, it is totally not competitive with Medigap plan F at substantially less money(better coverage at just under $100 for my wife when she reaches 65, and just over $100 for me---this includes a 7% discount for couples thru Mutual of Omaha, an AMBest "A" rated company). I've been advised that Tempoarary Insurance is the best value for you buck---problem is, my wife has pre-existing conditions, including Diabetes II, which is an automatic decline for the Temporary Insurance plans that can have your wife covered tomorrow, if she can jump the hoops. The only other option I've found is a state(Texas) "Risk Pool"(probably different for each state). There's several Risk Pool hoops to jump---14 business day approval process once you get the application to them in the mail, with a letter from Lucent declining Cobra coverage for your wife, Drs. letter on pre-existing conditions, otherwise, risk pool will not cover pre-existing conditions such as Diabetes. The Texas Risk Pool costs $588 for my wife with a $5000 deductible(a catastropic policy in essence, about twice what you would pay for a Temporary policy. This is all information I've been told---I hope it's accurate; but, I've found there's most always a few surprises down the road. Good luck---Lucent has put people like you and me in a real box with compromised options!
slimjimed

What To Do? I'm 69, my wife is 64

Postby opticsman on Thu Nov 13 2008

I have a problem that I am certain is shared by others, and that is , on Jan. 1st, I will be switched to Secure Horizons, and my wife will continue to be covered by the UNH Choice Plus. None of my current doctors are accepting Secure Horizons...but if I leave Lucent altogether, that means I will have to buy a private major medical plan for my wife until she turns 65, which is next September 1st. (This is around $1200/month) But if I wait until next September to buy Medigap policies for both of us, my wife will not have a problem, but it appears that I will lose my Guaranteed Issue Right...and if I have any pre-existing conditions, I will have a problem(s). I have called 5 different insurance agents, and have received 5 different answers.
Any comments??
Jack Stauffer
opticsman

Return to Alcatel-Lucent new Medicare Advantage PFFS